Civilization has scaled its way past human labor. In big companies you are bound to find machine workers outnumbering human labor. The essence of this is to increase work output and it is all held together by Computer Numerical Control (CNC).
CNC systems are automated and this trademark has brought about an alliance with computers that program sequences for processing equipment and machine tools. While CNC was overly a manufacturing venture when it was first discovered, it has slowly found its way into the processing arena.
Traditional Processing Technology
You will find CNC Processing has completely phased out traditional processing. CNC Processing has overtaken its predecessor because traditional processing technology found it hard keeping up with precision. This new wave of processing is a well processed thought and its maneuver past vintage processing is in calculated steps.
For starters old processing technology could not keep up with processing of globoidal cam. A study done by a College of Mechanical Engineering in China will tell you to immediately resort to CNC processing.
Study on the CNC Processing of globoidal cam
Globoidal cam, a non-developable spatial surface was normally produced via traditional processing. If you contrast the globoidal now and globoidal before, you will find that the cam on the markets is the kind drenched in processing finesse.
The study revealed the need for an upgrade in globoidal processing. An upgrade that could stand up to the required procession specific to processing of globoidal. Research followed suite giving major reference to the processing technology.
If you heed to the analysis that was executed you will see a turnover in the horizon of globoidal cam that is CNC Processing. The analysis was a background check on the existing processing equipment and the current processing technology.
At that time the processing technology was sloppy. The work turnover revealed stitches that had to be patched up. Getting down to this would switch up the processing principle in the key gradual steps of processing cam.
The research on the processing principle closely latched onto the problems which arose from the current traditional processing technology. This meant squaring down on generating cum, to its cutting, processing until finally carburizing. These processes are in sequence as is tradition with processing and made it easier to point out processing problems.
The clarion call was to fix:
- Position deviation
- Twice clamping
The two gravely impacted on processing. From the problems that arose, solutions were founded and they further proofed the processing technology of globoidal cam. A suitable fixture was designed to counteract the two problems that incapacitated processing of cam.
It was incorporating CNC into processing of globoidal cam. This phase was clouded by uncertainty as it was a huge switch up from traditional processing technology. It however proved to be a fast, efficient and profitable resolve and finally led to manufacturing of the qualified samples.
Applications of CNC Processing
CNC systems have taken over and some even say it is the first you have seen of a cybectronic age. CNC systems are overly electrified and this makes them suitable for one too many uses.
- Plasma cutting. You may know plasma cutting from Star Wars and light sabers. Far from a fictional stance, CNC has heavily invested in plasma cutting. Plasma cutters need an arc to start and work besides CNC hardware.
There are plasma cutter manufacturers who build CNC cutting tables whilst others prefer an inbuilt cutter. CNC tables give manufacturers a sharp cut because the torch head is controlled by a computer.
- CNC milling machines.When you place a work piece on a mill it will shave, cut and slice its pieces using rotary parts. In comparison, a CNC milling machine will give you greater precision than a hand mill job.
This is because incorporating CNC technology into a milling machine will allow you programming freedom. It will slice your work piece with precision of angle, depth and direction.
- CNC Lathes. Lathes turn centers thus operate by rotating material on a spindle. You cut the work piece into a desired shape while the material rapidly turns. For perfect symmetry, CNC lathes is ideal when dealing with conical, cylindrical and spherical shapes.
- CNC grinding machines. Grinders grate or grind material using a rotary wheel into desired shapes. Grinders, unlike CNC milling machines and CNC lathes work more easily with CNC technology. CNC grinders are easily programmable and require less precision.
- CNC drilling machines. Precision in positioning of holes in materials is not easy. Applying CNC technology in drilling machines will facilitate precision. Moreover, CNC technology implores different drilling techniques.
- Peck– Technique used to drill a hole in a stepwise procedure. Also called Interrupted cut drilling.
- Welding– Friction star welding and Ultra-sonic welding.
These applications are affiliated with CNC because they all have a process which you can describe as a series of movements and operations. Also noteworthy is the applications are lined up with CNC machines.
Examples of CNC machines
CNC machines usually have a G-code. G-codes are any words in a CNC program which begin with the letter G. This code tells the CNC machine what type of action to perform and it makes them more relative to CNC technology.
As a result, CNC machines are able to conduct movement rapidly in between cuts. With automation, they can also send a controlled feed in an arc. Such machines are mills, lathes, drilling machines and plasma cutters.
Advantages of CNC Processing
- Boosts production volumes. The precision, design and specification parameters of CNC technology is impeccable. This translates to constant huge work turnovers on a flexible scale.
- Creates flexibility in processing. Conventional processing is unlike CNC processing. CNC processing creates uniformity and thus products match.
- Facilitates complex tasks. Incorporating CNC into processing allows for versatility. As a result, you can create virtually any form from a material.
Disadvantages of CNC Processing
- CNC Processing can be viewed as a strategy to make conventional processing obsolete.
- It is
CNC is more like the Starbucks of processing. It’s affiliation with computers tons down processing to help achieve not just a high work turnover but also increased productivity. Even though conventional processing is affordable, CNC Processing is a bang for your buck.